© Jonathan Gallagher 2012-2019
April 14, 2016 / By jonnie
This week I tried out the joining random shapes in Vectorworks method of making stuff. I started with a triangle, a rounded rectangle, a hexagon and a circle. The shape I took screenshots of here I preferred but it got lost in a crash so I tried to approximate it again and that’s what made the final 3D model. I Extruded the 3D shape and layered copies one over the other sticking out at different angles.
Nice tube of Delrin, One of the major things I realised during milling this assignment was that the designs should conform to the material somewhat. I think what I’ve attempted so far would have been better off with flat, square stock. I hate to waste so much good material.
The Delrin came pre-drilled with a center hole so set up was relatively easy. I wanted to use a smaller bit for finer detail but couldn’t get SRP Player to include it in the toolpath it generated. I also accidentally entered the bit as 1/8 inch. It got about 1/4 way into the cut then stopped and torqued out. I apologise to everyone if this is very bad for the machine. It seemed to be back in perfect working order when I corrected my mistake and made a second attempt, however.
This is after the bit torqued out, I quickly cut off the spoiled portion with the band saw and tried milling a second time with what was left.
having made tabs that were too large with my aluminum cut I undershot here and made tabs that were too thin. The finishing pass wasn’t making that much of a difference with such a large bit anyway so I didn’t mind here but I’m going to design for large tabs next time to save time and peace of mind. If I were to mill this again I would design joints for each individual “face” of the scupture, mill the 4 of them separately and join them afterward. I may try this soon when the machine isn’t as busy.